When it comes to our lashes, a high-quality growth serum is such an easy way to boost your appearance and get healthier lashes in a low-maintenance way. There is no need to get lash extensions, wear strip lashes, or apply pounds of mascara when your natural lashes are long, strong, and gorgeous!
Let’s first explore how lashes grow in the first place. Understanding how your lashes and hair grows will help you understand what a lash serum does and how it can benefit you!
THE LASH GROWTH CYCLE
Most people have 90-160 lashes on their top lash line. Each eyelash is made up of a hair shaft (what you visually see) and a root (where the lash grows from). The hair on your head grows in the same manner as your lashes do: they go through 3 phases.
- Phase 1: Anagen phase - the growth phase
- About 35% of your lashes are in this phase at a given time
- This phase lasts 4-10 weeks
- Phase 2: Catagen phase - the breakdown “degradation” phase
- This phase lasts about 15 days
- Phase 3: Telogen phase - resting phase
- About 50% of your lashes are in this phase at a given time
- This phase lasts 4-9 months
After the telogen phase, the lash will fall out, and the cycle will begin again. A few lashes will shed at a time, but they won’t all shed in unison because hair follicles vary between all three growth phases. It is a totally normal part of the lash growth process to have shedding!
WHY LASHES FALL OUT
Lashes naturally fall out at the end of their hair cycle, but they can also fall out prematurely if they are damaged or not taken care of properly. The key to lash growth is to treat your lashes with care, but to also enhance the anagen phase of hair growth, so that lashes can grow long and strong, and won’t shed prematurely.
WHY MY LASHES ARE SPARSE OR WEAK
There are a few reasons why your lashes might be sparse or weak.
- Genetics - lash length can vary based on your genes
- Age - as we age, the hair cycle slows down
- Improper care - drying mascaras are hard on lashes, for example
- Inadequate nutrition - vitamins and minerals are important for lash health
- Medical conditions - alopecia, hypothyroidism, and other conditions that affect hair can impact lash growth
HOW CAN I SPEED UP LASH GROWTH?
The easiest way to speed up lash growth is to apply a lash serum to the base of your lash line every single day!
Other tips that help preserve lashes:
- Avoiding drying mascaras
- Not using lash curlers
- Gently removing eye makeup
- Avoiding false lashes
WHAT DO LASH SERUMS DO?
Put simply: Lash serums nourish eyelashes, encourage and stimulate new hair growth, improve the longevity of lashes, and improve the appearance of lashes.
TYPES OF LASH SERUMS
There are two main types of lash serums out there: peptide and vitamin-based serums, and prostaglandin-based serums.
Peptide and vitamin-based serums are exactly like the name describes. They are composed of peptides and vitamins that naturally stimulate follicle growth and condition lashes, promoting natural hair production in the anagen phase. By applying peptides and vitamins to your lash line, you can grow more hair and longer lashes!
Prostaglandin-based serums are growth serums derived from a medication that was originally developed to treat glaucoma. This type of serum works by artificially extending the anagen phase of the hair growth cycle in the lashes. These serums include ingredients like isopropyl cloprostenate, isopropyl phenylhydroxypentene dihydroxycyclopentylheptenate, and dechloro dihydroxy difluoro ethylcloprostenolamide. While effective, this type of lash growth serum comes with many side effects.
WHAT LASH SERUM IS BEST?
We are biased, yes, but we truly stand behind safe and effective lash serums such as our NEW Eyelash Boosting Serum. This serum is packed with peptides and vitamins that naturally grow lashes without harsh side effects.
While it is a personal choice, we don’t suggest prostaglandin-based eyelash growth serums as they have many possible side effects, such as:
- Lowered eye pressure
- Eyelid darkening
- Permanent eye color change
- Unwanted hair growth in areas other than lashes
- Itching, swelling, inflammation, and redness
Prostaglandin-based serums are banned in many countries, including Canada and Sweden.
AN Skin’s Eyelash Boosting Serum is a safe and effective way to enhance your lashes, growing them to be longer, darker, and stronger! Powered by a clinically-proven peptide complex and an innovative blend of botanicals that are hydrating, conditioning, and nourishing, our serum provides nutrients for your lashes that bring big results. Not only that, but this blend is all-natural, safe for the eyes and for sensitive skin, and won’t cause irritation.
HOW TO APPLY LASH SERUM
Here's how to apply your new lash serum:
- Step 1: cleanse your face and eye area, and remove all mascara and product
- Step 2: apply one swipe of Eyelash Boosting Serum along each lash line - make sure to apply the serum to the base of the eyelashes
- Step 3: wait 5 minutes to dry before applying anything else to the eye area
For best results, apply to upper and lower lashes in the morning and the evening daily. Be consistent, and in about 8 weeks, you will notice the benefits of this amazing serum! Don’t forget to take before and after photos!
*If you stop using a growth serum, your lashes will slowly and gradually revert back to their original growth patterns